If you’re planning on going out for New Year’s Eve, keeping safe drinking in mind should be a crucial part of your celebrations. Every year, 40 percent of deadly crashes involve drunk drivers between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. DUI arrests spike drastically, and over 100 people are killed each New Year’s Eve alone. On top of that, more pedestrians are killed on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day than any other days of the year. With that in mind, make sure to plan ahead so you’re not the cause—or casualty—of excessive drinking.
Here are our best tips for planning a safe night of drinking in Lubbock, TX to make sure your New Year’s Eve celebrations are safe and pleasantly uneventful:
- Know what and how much you’re drinking: Depending on what you’re drinking, the alcohol levels can vary dramatically. A good rule of thumb for pacing yourself is to limit yourself to one drink per hour.
- Be sure to eat: Consuming alcohol can mess with your blood sugar levels, so it’s always a good idea to eat a large meal before going out for a drink. Eat a good combination of protein, carbohydrates and vegetables to ensure your body has the fuel it needs to keep you dancing all night long.
- Use the buddy system: When you’re in a room full of unfamiliar people, you may be subject to unfamiliar dangers. Make a pact with your friends to keep an eye out for one another—watch their drinks as well as making sure that no one is subjecting them to nonconsensual behavior or advances. If you notice someone harassing your friend, have a plan for getting them away safely.
- Plan ahead for how you’ll get home: Taxis and rideshare services are notoriously busy on New Year’s Eve, so you should make plans well in advance for getting home. Look into free towing services, shuttles and designated drivers. This helps keep drunk drivers off the road and gets them safely home, where they belong.
- Be a great host: If you’re hosting a party, you should be aware that some guests will take the opportunity to overindulge. Be sure to have space for inebriated guests to crash until they’ve sobered up—your couch, air mattresses and guest rooms are great for these occasions. A little inconvenience is worth the lives saved.
- Drink a lot of water: Finally, be sure to stay hydrated. Alcohol is a diuretic and saps your body of water content, so to feel your best, make sure to drink a glass of water for every alcoholic drink consumed.
If planning a night of safe drinking in Lubbock, TX doesn’t work out quite the way you expected, you’ve got an experienced lawyer on your side. Whether you need a lawyer for a DUI, criminal case or family law matter, The Law Office of Rob Biggers is prepared fight for you. You can count on us to have your best interests in mind and fight zealously for your rights. Call us today to find out how we can help bring your case to a just and fair conclusion.
**This Blog/Website is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog/website you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.**
Categorised in: DWI