No one wants a ticket (or worse, to be arrested), yet often our judgment is clouded when we’re driving and in a hurry. Surely no one will notice if you roll through that stop sign—or so you hope. However, police tend to pop up at the least convenient time, and your seemingly harmless violation can quickly turn into an expensive stop.
Here are the top traffic violations in Lubbock, TX and how to avoid them:
- Running a stop sign or red light: It’s so tempting to sail through a red light or a stop sign when there’s no one else around, but that particular type of violation has been responsible for some devastating accidents, including ones with fatalities. Always keep your eyes peeled for stop signs and red lights, and make sure to stop fully before continuing on your way. Take the opportunity to look around you to ensure the other drivers are paying attention, too.
- Speeding: Naturally, speeding is something just about everyone has done at least once—make sure you observe the speed limits, especially in school zones and residential neighborhoods. You never know when a child will run out in front of you or something else unexpected will happen.
- Following too closely: Tailgating the person in front of you isn’t just annoying—it’s also dangerous, because you’re not giving them enough time to make a safe and complete stop. Always leave at least three car lengths between your car and the one in front of you.
- Unsafe lane changes: Weaving in and out of traffic is prohibited and can contribute to a reckless driving charge. Always obey the rules of the road and make sure you look carefully before changing lanes.
- Passing in a no-passing zone: We’ve all been stuck behind that person going 10 miles under the speed limit, but as tempting as it may be, avoid passing in a no-passing zone. The tickets can be hefty, but the road is a no-passing zone for a reason—namely, your safety.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving can encompass a lot of different behaviors, but excessive speeding, unsafe lane changes, swerving and weaving will all get an officer’s attention. Only drive when you’re awake, alert and able to devote your full attention to the road.
- Not following railroad crossing rules: Railroad crossings can be the sites of fatal accidents, so get familiar with the traffic laws governing them and always use an abundance of caution.
- Driving in the wrong direction: Driving in the wrong direction (even just for a moment) can result in tickets and fines that we’re sure you’d rather avoid—don’t take that shortcut.
- DUI: It should go without saying, but DUIs are unfortunately common. Never drive while under the influence of alcohol or any mind-altering drug, for your safety as well as the safety of those with whom you’re sharing the road.
Want more information about how to avoid traffic violations in Lubbock, TX? The Law Office of Rob Biggers will help fight for your rights—call today for a consultation.
**This Blog/Website is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog/website you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.**
Categorised in: Uncategorized